Blowing a Dandelion...

If you were to ask me about flowers related to my childhood the one flower I would name would be the Dandelion. My friends and I would often spend the warm afternoons laying on the grass, with a dandelion in our hands and we would take turns to blow and counting how many we could see before they disappeared and often would say that it would tell us how many children we would have when we grew up! Somehow I don't think 17 children is realistic!! Sometimes we would pretend the seeds were fairies and we had to catch one to be able to make a wish....There are many different superstitious reasons people may blow them but for me it was mainly to make a wish...

There is something about blowing a dandelion flower, the sight of the seeds flying through the air is beautiful and sometimes magical especially to a child and if you are lucky to have a very sunny day you sometimes can see the seeds shimmer in the air.

When my older two children were younger I taught them this and they loved blowing the flower and making wishes...I loved listening to them whisper their wishes which were so typical like "wish for a dog", "wish to go and see Mickey Mouse" and so on...Now they are older and not interested! Typical boys!

Roo on the other hand doesn't really understand and I tried last year but he wasn't interested and just started whining whenever I brought one near him...A few days ago we were walking through a field letting Pepper have a run when I noticed a few dandelions left, most were dead but there was one or two still full white...I picked one and showed it to Roo who was really curious and I then blew the seeds and he watched amazed and giggled...I got another one and he held it, examined the flower and I told him to blow and bless him he tried but his blow isn't strong enough yet so I blew it for him ... he just sat in silence with a beaming smile watching the seeds fly through the air...I did feel a tinge of sadness in that he didn't understand wishes and couldn't tell me but I soon got over it as I could see the joy it brought to his face watching me blow the seeds and seeing them fly in the air... a magical sight... I know what I wished for when I blew them....



Comments